Fall is also the demarcation for the beginning of football season, new shows on television, new car introductions, saying goodbye to the hot days of summer and best of all the ushering in of some wonderful holiday traditions like Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. It also means we can enjoy the most recent release of Wood Family Vineyards 2021 Chardonnay!
Located in eastern Livermore Rhonda has been a mainstay of the Livermore Valley for over two decades. You can read more on her background from airline pilot to award winning winemaker at:
Here is a partial listing of her current winning wines:
- 2021 “Pink Pearl” Rose – Best of Class – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2021 Albariño – Best of Class – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 Cabernet Franc – Double Gold – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 LVVC – Gold – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 “Viva” Cabernet Sauvignon – Gold – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 Merlot – Gold – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 “The Captain” Red Blend – Gold – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 “Big Wood” Zinfandel – Gold – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 “Woody’s” Cab Cabernet Sauvignon – Silver – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2018 “Especial” Cabernet Sauvignon – Silver – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2018 Clone 30 Cabernet Sauvignon – Silver – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 “El Loco Rojo” Bordeaux Red Blend – Silver – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 GSM – Silver – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
- 2019 ‘Muy Bueno” Zinfandel – Silver – SF Chronicle Wine Competition
The Wine – 2021 Wood Family Vineyards Chardonnay
Rhonda Wood, owner and winemaker, has consistently made award winning wines and truly one of my favorite Chardonnay’s for the last six years. While always delicious and winning awards, with caramel and full secondary malolactic fermentation creating a tinge of buttery finish, each year has a slight change. Her 2021 Chardonnay is 98% of the same “deliciousness” as her 2020. The slight changes were twofold, the first being a more “mouth filling” slightly heavier body due to more stirring of the lees during barrel fermentation. The second was a hint of an ever slight sweetness on the finish. The balance of the wine was almost identical in color (golden yellow), aroma (fresh brioche), taste (pear and apple) and a beautiful finish! This wine was as “comfortable and inviting” as her previous vintages once again. It is like coming home from a hard day at work and collapsing in your favorite recliner! The bottle sells for $32.
The Food and Wine Pairing
Paired this evening with a chicken and Bok Choy stir-fry. Ingredients included besides the cut crosswise chicken, cornstarch, Canola oil, dark sesame oil, uncooked onion(s), ginger root, minced garlic, uncooked Bok Choy, water and low sodium soy sauce. Garnished with sesame seeds. The mouth filling Chardonnay and wine made a wonderful food and wine pairing.
As fall is upon us, you can also be assured that awards will be forthcoming for this vintage of Chardonnay!